Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Traumatic Day

Today was our 4 month check up. So we had a lovely afternoon of poking, prodding, shots and a minor surgical procedure.

First, here are our stats: 13 pounds, 9 ounces (I was excited that we're finally past the 12 pound mark. Apparently though, Jax "should" be about 2 pounds heavier. The doctor didn't seem worried, so I guess now we wait to see how chubby we are at our 6 month appointment)

25 1/2 inches long ~ Jax is taller (longer?) than most babies at this age. Since we're light on the weight side and taller than average, I sort of imagine him being built like my dad or brothers.

Jax is also big enough where we get to start cereal once a day and after a month or so, if that goes well, start him on fruit. When I called Josh to tell him about the appointment and mentioned that we can start feeding Jaxon cereal once a day he was surprised since Jax has no teeth and I didn't quite get why. I guess though, that he had it in his head that when I said cereal, I meant like Cheerios or something. Once I explained what sort of cereal we'd be eating, he understood a little better.

Today was our day for 3 more immunizations (still not the traumatic part of the day). They actually came after the trauma. He sucked down the oral one like a champ and did pretty good with the actual shots, too. He let out one good scream and called it good. I'm glad his nurse is pretty speedy when it comes to administering the shots!

Alright...now for the traumatic part. If you're a squeamish sort, I'm guessing you don't want to read any further.

When the doctor checked his boy parts and circumcision, she found that the foreskin had healed (bridged, she called it) to the rest and needed to be recut. This was NOT exciting news. I was hoping I'd get to not be standing there when she did it. Wrong! I got to restrain his arms (he kept hitting at her hand as she was trying do it), while a nurse held his legs. Jax started screaming at her before she'd even done anything and then held his breath longer than I have ever seen him hold it afterwards. He wasn't as friendly with the doctor after that.

Since his shots came after this awesomeness, as soon as I laid him back down on the table, he scrunched up, giving the nurse a run for her money, trying to straighten out his legs. He was not very happy with her afterwards, either when she was checking in his diaper to make sure he wasn't bleeding anymore.

Now that we're home, he's pretty cuddly (no complaints on that one!) and I'm hoping that the acetominephin that I gave him earlier helps with the pain. Fingers crossed on how the rest of the day goes!

No comments: