Monday, July 26, 2010

Vacation: Turtle Racing in Perham

When I was younger, my family used to go to a town near the cabin to race turtles. Josh thought I was nuts when I told him I wanted to take Jaxon turtle racing, but I think he had fun. Way back in the day, it used to be you could show up and pick a turtle out of a bucket and race your turtle. We showed up 30 minutes before races were supposed to start for registration (a fancy way of saying that you're given a colored sticker with a number on it, I guess). By the time we got there, the line of people wanting to race turtles was down the block and around the corner! Our turtle was #179 and they announced that after about 30 minutes of racing there were over 300 people "registered" to race that day! Jax enjoyed watching the turtles, and tried to grab one that came near where we were sitting, but did NOT want to touch his turtle when it came time. Our turtle didn't win, his GPS must not have been working or something because instead of going straight he turned and took off for the other side of the ring.



No comments: