Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Milestones and Adjusted Age

One thing that we were told over and over again in the NICU was that because Jaxon was born early, we have to judge his milestones by his adjusted age and not by his actual age.

Today he is 6 weeks old or his adjusted age is 5 days old. Which means that any milestones that he has would be those of a baby that is 5 days old. I hadn't really thought much about his adjusted age and how his milestones are affected because at this point, all the milestone lists we've received Jax has done awesome at.

I get weekly/daily/monthly emails from different sources ~ parenting magazine, the hospital, etc. and they list different information (sometimes helpful, sometimes not). Today I got an email that said that one of the 6 week milestones is recognizing parents faces and smiling on purpose. It makes me kind of sad that, technically, we have to wait another 6ish weeks for this when he seems like a "normal" 6 week old baby in all other aspects. I guess it gives me something to look forward to and I don't look at him as being behind other babies his age, but it's not like we hang out with other babies that are the same age as Jax either.

It's kind of frustrating then, that with all the weekly helpful emails out there, that there isn't one geared towards parents of preemies. I know Jaxon is normal and it's not like I think him to be anything but perfect, we just have to be patient. More patience. Yuck.

1 comment:

Finding Our Forever said...

you should re-sign up as his due date so that what you get feels better, he'll probably recognize you earlier than that though, he was too much of a preemie, all the different "ages" will soon start to blur together