Saturday, April 18, 2009

The adventure began...

Well, Jaxon has arrived and did he ever make an interesting and unexpected entrance to this world!

Late Monday night/early Tuesday morning, I started to wonder if my water was leaking (don't ask me why I thought it was just leaking, but I thought that could happen. Guess it can't.) That was at either 2:14 am or 2:47 am....all I know is it was 2 something and there was a 4 in there somewhere. I didn't mention anything to Josh because I was pretty sure that if I was leaking amniotic fluid, that a trip to the doctor could fix it. Plus, I didn't think it was a big deal and didn't want to worry him with something that, like I said, thought could be patched up ;) When I got to preschool, I called the hospital to talk to a neonatal nurse just to see if what I thought was happening was even possible. While I waited for her to call me back, I called Josh to see if he'd be able to bring our taxes to the tax guy just in case I ended up with an appointment that overlapped. I am pretty sure that this was the last sane moment in the day.

The nurse called back around 10 and I asked her my question and she got kind of frantic and said she'd make an appointment with my doctor and call me right back. And then she hung up on me. Should have taken that as a bad sign, I guess. By the time she called me back, it was a little after 11 and she told me that I needed to come in the ER entrance and go up to the birthing center to be hooked up to some machines for outpatient observation. So I call Josh and tell him that I will be dropping off the tax stuff for him to deliver but since my day of preschool is almost over, it'll be a short bit.

My parents happened to call while I was checking into the hospital and when I mentioned where I was they came down to keep me company. I figured I'd be there a couple hours and then home....yeah right! They hooked me up to some monitors to check the baby's heart rate and ran some tests to see if I really was leaking amniotic fluid. Josh happened to show up at 1, just to check things out and see if we knew anything yet ~ he happened to show up just as the midwife was coming into to give me the results. My water had broken, and we had two options: wait it out and risk infection or induce me that day. She had already consulted with the other 2 midwives and they had decided that induction was best since my water had been broken for so long and that I'd be moved into another room and hooked up to IVs for antibiotics. Our helpful nurse asked Josh if he would go home and get the bag that we had packed....there was no bag! We thought we had 5.5 weeks! She also mentioned a car seat ~ which was at home, sitting in the closet in the baby's room. Again....that whole 5 weeks thing.

They moved me to a private room and Josh went to run errands and tell work that he wouldn't be back, while we all tried to wrap our heads around the situation. We started making the necessary phone calls and trying to sort out things while we waited. My parents helped us track down a camera (both of ours had dead batteries because we thought we had a little time yet to prepare), Josh went home and grabbed some random clothes to get us through the day.

They started me on antibiotics and at 3 started to give me pitocin. I'd been having contractions since I got to the hospital, according to the monitors, I just couldn't feel anything. I didn't really feel anything til 7pm and even then what I felt wasn't any worse than the Braxton Hicks that I'd had while I was pregnant. I didn't really feel any contractions until 9:30. They were pretty bad at 10:30 and I wasn't very conversational (ask Josh!). I had Nubane at 10:30 and 12:15 ~ that was lovely. It didn't help the pain, but I did feel drunk and got to sleep a little bit.

Jaxon Scott was born at 12:55 a.m. and weighed 5 lbs. 6 oz. He's 19.75 inches long with a full head of black hair. :) He is in the NICU since he was premature and his lungs aren't quite developed yet. On Wednesday morning, he was given surfectant to keep his lungs from sticking together and it seems to be helping. He was on a CPAP machine to keep pressure in his lungs, but it had been taken off when we got to the hospital to visit last night ~ now he just has the nasal tube and is breathing room air with a little bit of pressure. He's a little jaundiced, so he's been put under bili lights and given some awesome sunglasses while he catches a tan. He's doing remarkably well, and best case scenario could be home by Wednesday. Worst case, he wouldn't get home until his due date ~ May 22nd.

Well....we're headed back to the hospital to cuddle Jax! Thank you though, to all our friends and family that jumped into action when we said we were going to be having the baby early! We are so grateful for all the amazing people in our lives :)

No comments: