Friday, February 13, 2009

Baby Kicks, Preschool Knowledge

My preschoolers are fascinated by the whole baby thing. One of them is constantly trying to feel it kick~ which of course happens all the time until she puts her hand to my stomach and then it ceases completely. I tell her it's because her hands are so cold ;) This same girl gave me a lesson in Baby 101. She made sure to point out to me that once I "pick the baby up from the hospital" I can't return it. And it's probably going to poop. Oh, and if (ha! IF!) it does, I cannot bring it to her house and she will NOT change diapers for me. We made a paper chain to help us count down the days so I don't have to answer the question of "How many more days?!?!?" every day. It's cute because when we started it, it was about 9 feet long, and just getting rid of one link of the chain is such a huge deal to them. Two of the kids volunteered to come and paint the baby's room for me and since them all of them have said they would do it for me. They've all got some interesting ideas of how to reach all the way to the ceiling ~ one of them is going to climb the wall like Spiderman, a few of the others believe we should find some monkeys and make them do it. (When I asked where we'd get monkeys, I was told we'd probably have to steal them from a zoo since you can't get them at a pet store.)

Kickwise, I don't really know what the excuse is, then, when Josh tries to feel the same thing. Maybe it's just a stubborn baby (Josh says that's most likely the case and that that character trait comes from me). What really entertains me is that he will fall asleep with his hand on my stomach and then the baby starts to kick like crazy, directly under Josh's hand. But when Josh is awake and actually hoping to feel the baby kick, it's always on the opposite side or a couple inches from his hand.

No comments: